Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Faceted Green Amber for Sale in Teófilo Otoni -- Part II

Green Amber
A few months back, I wrote a post about the faceted green amber I had seen in Teófilo Otoni, earlier this year.

I am happy to report that some of the best pieces were still at the dealer's office when I went to see him, yesterday, and I am going to break down and buy one of these incredible beauties (for study purposes, of course!).
Green Amber

For those of you who have not seen the first post, here is the link:


Right now, I have only very bad photos that don't come anywhere near to showing the wonderful liquid green-gold lights bouncing off those facets -- here is what I have, but I will post new photos once I get back to Conquista and am able to use my old 4 Mp Olympus D580, which has good sensors for yellows and greens. (The stones in the background of the top photo are chrysoberyls.)

Copyright © 2009 N. Tenney Naumer -- All rights reserved.

More info on the formation of amber here:

4 comments:

  1. beautiful i want somes of it omillars12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Omar,

    This blog post is almost 2 years old. The green amber is not from Brazil, but it ended up in Teofilo Otoni. I think it is all gone now except for some pieces that I kept for myself.

    Sorry,

    Tenney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems that the green "amber" shown her is in reality Colombian Copal, treated in an autoclave. There is much information on greencaribbeanamber.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hermann!

    You are quite probably correct! But the stones are gorgeous. I still have the stones I bought and have not seen any degradation.

    I tried to buy some Caribbean blue amber, but the seller took my money and sent nothing, unfortunately.

    Sorry I took so long to reply to your comment, but I recently moved back to the U.S. and that took up all of my attention.

    Best regards,

    Tenney

    ReplyDelete